Shan Maw Myae, Social Business Specializing on Organic Agriculture
We at Shan Maw Myae believe economic and environmental goals can be achieved together instead of one at the cost of the other. We are a market-oriented social business utilising working towards the benefit of the environment and people. Shan Maw Myae as a company believes in profits with principles.
For instance, by promoting and practicing organic agriculture, we managed to decrease operation costs while increasing revenue and profit, benefiting both the environment and economics of the enterprise.
Applying Social Entrepreneurialism for Local Economic Development
Shan Maw Myae Ltd has applied many principles of social entrepreneurship for local economic development. Although Shan Maw Myae is registered as a company, we spend more than 50% of our profit for local economic development and public education.
Here at Shan Maw Myae, we believe that rural poverty, an important social problem, is caused by lack of opportunities and low income of farmers and farm workers. So our approach to handle those problems is to create business opportunities for local populace by helping them set up community enterprises or as local agents of SMM and to help turn chemical infested farms to become organic farms hence allowing farmers and farm workers to reap higher income from the sale of premium produce – the organic farm products.
In addition to championing organic agriculture, we supply and export quality organic fertilizers, safe farm products and manufacture high quality food stuff such as sauce and condiments as well as natural and herbal medicine such as Noni & bee pollen and honey products. Details of our products and projects can be found on relevant pages.
We are an ambitious socially oriented company and would like experts and organizations (both non-profit and for-profits) to get involved in our work. At Shan Maw Myae, we always welcome ideas and invitation for collaboration from all interested parties.
Shan Maw Myae Ltd is confident that we can help turn Myanmar to become a sustainable producer of safe farm products through our market oriented principles and our commitment to the organic movement of Myanmar.
Company Name – Shan Maw Myae Co., Ltd
Establishment – Year 2001
Managing Director – U Nyan Lin
Bank – MICB
No. of Employees – 200
No. of Branches – 24
No. of Stockiest (sales centre) – 20
- Manufacturing and distributing
- Organic Agricultural input products
- Organic Livestock breeding input products
- Health care products
- Natural Foodstuffs.
- Organizing and developing of organic farms
- Myanmar Fruit and Vegetable Producer and Exporter Association
- Forest Resource Environment Development & Conservation Association (FREDA)
- Myanmar Fisheries Federation
- Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries
- Myanmar Paddy Producer’s Association
- Myanmar Pharmaceutical & Medical Equipment Entrepreneur’s Association
- The Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce & Industry
Back to Nature
In fact we believe it is a natural thing to turn back to the nature and be organic in whatever we eat and plant. Bee
Usage of chemical fertilizers is neither natural nor sustain ably beneficial for people or profits. Moreover, chemical fertilizers produce greenhouse gases that cause severe harm to the environment and contribute to climate change.
Organics’ advantage over Chemicals
» Less reliance on foreign imports
» Increase the level of microorganism in soil (chemicals can kill them off and decrease microbes instead). These microorganisms enrich the soil with better nutrients and can help decay matter, which helps the recycling process.
» Moreover organic fertilizers help create suitable habitats for beneficial insects and worms.
» Organic agriculture actually costs less and savings can become apparent in a few years time.
Organics’ advantage over Chemicals
● Food products produced from organically managed farmland are entirely safe from harmful chemicals and residues.
● There is a wrongly held perception that organic agriculture is expensive and produces fewer yields. This is entirely untrue. Take organic fertilizers and chemical fertilizers as examples. Chemical fertilizers contain many harmful materials that can erode nutrients from land and damages biodiversity whereas organic fertilizers make the soil healthier and richer with nutrients. This richness with nutrients actually helps produce higher yields and this is evident as soon as organic farming is applied.